Thursday, 10 March 2011

From my website

A very belated “Happy New Year”, and my apologies for not writing for so long. I hope that you all enjoyed whatever you did over Christmas and New Year, and the start of 2011 has been good to you.

I hope you followed Kayo’s blog about her time in Scotland – see link below. If you did, you have already read about my 97-hour marathon from Kure to Dunfermline. I’m trying to forget it!

Our journey back was perfect except for one small hiccup. Unfortunately we couldn’t fly from Edinburgh to London Heathrow together, but our shuttle flights with different airlines were close enough that we could check in at the same time.

Our suitcases were packed with our winter clothes and lots of Christmas presents we had been given, and were right on the weight allowance. Because of that our hand luggage was probably too heavy for Kayo and the children to manage easily. I helped them carry their hand luggage to their departure gate (gate 6), and boarded my plane, which was leaving slightly earlier from gate 11. Being a helpful sort of person I offered to take the computer with me, so Kayo wouldn’t have to carry it.

My seat was right at the back of the plane, and after sitting down, I took out my telephone to switch it off before the flight. I was a little surprised to see that I had missed a call from Kayo who, after all, I had only left some five minutes before. I called her back to find that she had slipped her and the children’s passports and boarding passes into the computer bag… which was now in the overhead locker above me!

I quickly reported this to a flight attendant who was in the attendants’ area at the back of the plane. She picked up the phone and spoke to the attendant manning the door at the front of the plane, and another attendant took the passports and boarding passes and rushed the length of the plane through the last few passengers who were still finding their seats. The passports and boarding passes were handed out of the plane, and in the same instant the door closed and we started moving away from the gate. Oh goodness, what a panic!

The flight attendant tried to assure me that everything would be OK, but it was only on arriving at Heathrow, and meeting up with Kayo and the children again that I knew for sure that their passports had reached them in time.

Tadashi, in particular, suffered some travel sickness on the way home, but our door-to-door journey of 22 hours was a considerable improvement on the outward leg of my trip.

For Kayo’s version of this little drama, please check her blog -


No comments:

Post a Comment